I’ve been hard at work trying to get some of our main spaces in a more finished state since taking all the Christmas decor down.
One of those spaces is our dining room.
Our floorplan, after the remodel, is all open concept which means that our everyday eating space is also our “formal” eating space. In open concept, each of your “rooms” works extra hard which I love because it feels like nothing is wasted.
Anyway, I’ve been loving all things mirrored lately and specifically eying one of those giant beautiful windowpane mirrors (like this one). But with that big price tag, I just haven’t been able to pull the trigger.
Then, last weekend at IKEA, inspiration struck. I came across the 4-packs of their LOTS mirror.
DING DING DING – I’ll make my own!
It’s pretty self-explanatory, but this is the process we went through to make our DIY Windowpane Mirror.
We started with the completely blank wall. Normally, if it were up to me, I would’ve just drawn one straight line and eye-balled the rest. But (thankfully) I have my uber-meticulous husband who measured out precisely where every single mirror “pane” should go.
- laser level
- painter’s tape
- IKEA LOTS mirror (3 packs @ $8.99/each)
- level (for ruler purposes)
- black chalk paint
I chose to align the mirror panes in a horizontal layout, but it would look just as good in a vertical layout as well. Truly, that’s the beauty of this DIY is that you really could build it custom to however you need it to work in your space.
The IKEA mirrors adhere to the wall with foam adhesive strips that come in the package, so really this could be a renter’s dream impact project because no holes go into the wall!
Took us about 2 hours in total to get everything up, and then about another hour to paint the outline.
I simply used what I had on hand – which was the basic black chalkboard paint from Home Depot (this one).
Since we had already meticulously measured every angle and line to ensure it was level, I just eyeballed outlining the mirror with painter’s tape.
A quick first coat of the existing wall color to seal the tape (BM White Dove), and once that was dry, I painted on two coats of the black chalk paint.
Because you have to wait for paint to dry in between coats, I did the bulk of this project while my kids were watching a show, eating their, and then napping. It sort of has an ongoing start and stop rhythm to it, so plan accordingly.
Pretty simple project for under $30!